Quantum Algorithm Researcher Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Palo Alto, CA, US
Scientific Research/Envir Engr
Research & Advanced Engineering (R&A)
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
Ford’s Research and Advanced Engineering team explores new vehicle and societal innovations that require some level of invention before they can be applied to our products and services. The team is building on a history of Ford innovation, including our invention of the three-way catalytic converter to modernize vehicle emissions controls in the 1970s and the world’s first rear inflatable seat belts in 2010.
Today, we are exploring and delivering ways to make smarter vehicles and our transportation system more efficient to improve people’s lives by helping them move more freely, safely and enjoyably. For example, we are changing how our products are made by creating high-quality vehicles in an environmentally and socially responsible way, including the use sustainable materials. Since 2000, we have used 12 industry and world-first plant-based materials in our production vehicles. We also are researching the possible use of tomato skin, bamboo, agave fiber, dandelion roots, algae and coffee chaff as part of our ambitious goal of making our vehicles with up of 20 percent sustainable material by 2025.
What you will be able to do
Ford Motor Company is moving into a new phase of its 100+ year history, one in which software is at the heart of its future. We are reimagining the driving experience by redefining the automobile as a networked computing platform on which to develop an ever-evolving set of on- and off-vehicle applications. Sophisticated applications such as traffic optimization, autonomous vehicle machine learning, vehicle route planning and material sciences require the exploration of emerging alternative computing platforms including quantum computing. That’s where you come in! Quantum computing has shown significant promise in helping solve many of these problems. Ford is actively pursuing quantum-computing research internally and in partnership with external organizations, as evidenced by our recent collaboration with NASA. As part of this initiative, Ford has prioritized resources required for the growth of our internal quantum computing research team. As a key contributor to our internal quantum computing research team, you will:
- Conduct independent and team-based research to develop quantum algorithms
- Leverage existing and upcoming quantum computing technology for proof-of-concept demonstration of quantum or hybrid optimization algorithms
- Engage multi-functional research teams to build and maintain a repository of relevant use cases
- Disseminate up-to-date news on emerging technology and business trends to the broader team
- Educate the broader Ford team on Quantum Computing concepts, the technology's potential and value
The minimum requirements we seek
- Master’s Degree in a Natural Science, Engineering or Computer Science
- Two or more years of experience, including graduate-level academic research, in Quantum Computation (e.g. development of Quantum algorithms, numerical simulation of Quantum circuits, etc.)
Our preferred requirements
- PhD in a Natural Science, Engineering or Computer Science
- Proven leadership in Quantum Algorithm research, particularly with focus towards Machine Learning (ML) or Material Science
- Ability to develop new Quantum algorithms
- In-depth knowledge of current Quantum, hybrid and Quantum-inspired algorithms
- Experience implementing quantum algorithms using Quantum assembly language programming
- Evidence of intellectual depth as demonstrated by external publications and/or patents
What you will receive in return
As part of the Ford family, you will enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You will also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we would love to have you join us.
Visa sponsorship may be available for this position.
By choice, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.