Battery Cell Modeling Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Allen Park, MI, US
Product Development (PD)
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
Do you have what it takes to make smart vehicles for a smart world? Join the Ford Product Development team. Utilizing Design Thinking and User Experience methods, you will work to deliver breakthrough products and services that delight our customers. We are seeking forward-thinking, laser-focused professionals with a passion for bringing innovative, exciting and sustainable ideas to life. We have opportunities around the world for you to contribute to such advancements as autonomy, electrification, smart mobility technologies and more!
What you will be able to do
The Electrification Powertrain Engineering (EPE) organization is responsible for delivering the best fuel economy and refined Hybrid, Plug-in Hybrid and Battery Electric vehicles in every segment in which we compete. Consistently delivering the best customer vehicle value and profitably while delivering these objectives with performance and smoothness of operation that exceeds our customer's expectations. Take advantage of this opportunity to work in one of the most dynamic and growing organizations in Ford and to further Ford’s “Power of Choice” initiative. You will:
- Be responsible for Cell electrochemical methods and modeling
- Key Life Test development and evaluation
- Cell performance, life and degradation studies
- Analyze xEV drive cycle
- Evaluate Ah and kWh throughput
- Solve Concentrated Solution Theory in electrochemical porous media
- Utilize mathematical and computational tools to integrate complex reaction phenomena
- Develop and qualify large format lithium ion cell design
- Analyze battery and cell usage and related specification development
- Be responsible for Battery test lab operations, planning and test methods development
- Develop next generation battery design and new concepts
- Analyze Automotive cell reliability, including design and process failure mode and effects
- Detailed battery cell cost analysis and modeling
- Research mild, full, plug-in hybrid and battery electric vehicle applications
The minimum requirements we seek
- Master’s Degree in Engineering
- 5+ years of academic or industry experience in the Lithium Ion Battery (LIB) industry
- 5+ years of academic or industry experience developing and implementing simulations of battery performance and degradation
- 5+ years of academic or industry experience using MATLAB/Simulink programs to solve coupled systems of large-scale Ordinary Differential Equations (ODEs) or Partial Differential Equations (PDEs)
- Record of documentation: 5+ publications and/or patents
Our preferred requirements
- PhD degree in Chemical Engineering, with a specialty in electrode slurry mixing or coating process
- 10+ years of experience with modeling
- System CAE tool experience (e.g. Modelica, Dymola, AMESIM, etc.)
- 2+ years engineering experience in battery system design, usage, controls, testing and system interactions for electrified vehicles
- Fluency in computational languages (e.g. Matlab, C++, etc.)
- Fluency in computational tools (e.g. COMSOL, ABAQAS, etc.)
- Experience with lab-scale battery cell fabrication and electrochemical characterization methods
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Leader/Manager experience
- Self-motivated with the ability to manage multiple tasks
What you will receive in return
As part of the Ford family, you will enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You will also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we would love to have you join us.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position, TN visa holders may be considered.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
For information on Ford’s benefits and compensation, click here: https://corporate.ford.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en-us/documents/careers/2021-benefits-and-comp-GSR-sal-plan-2.pdf