Autonomous Vehicle Mapping & Localization Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Ann Arbor, MI, US
Autonomous Vehicles (AV)
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams! With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
The “Autonomous Vehicle Mapping & Localization Engineer” position entails developing, implementing, and testing algorithms which will enable an Autonomous Vehicle to understand it’s surrounding and identify its position with respect to its surroundings. For the AV to plan a safe path through an area, it needs to accurately estimate its own position. A multi sensor approach is the ideal way to go about this task and the candidate will be expected to work on various types of sensors ranging from IMUs to LiDARs.
What you’ll be able to do:
We are seeking a diligent, detail-driven professional who has a strong grasp of robotics fundamentals, basic software engineering skills and expertise in Mapping & Localization techniques. We are looking to develop the next generation of multi sensor fusion algorithms to localize our AVs in most challenging environments. At Ford, you will:
- Design, implement, and test state-of-the-art algorithms for mapping & localization based on a multi sensor fusion approach using GPS, IMU, cameras, LiDARs.
- Develop, implement and utilize specific metrics to quantify the performance of localization algorithms.
- Prototype algorithms in Python/Matlab in order to improve and validate them at a very early stage!
- Design, implement, test and maintain production-level software solutions in C++.
- Present designs, challenges, implementation details and results during periodic reviews and technical interchange meetings.
- Develop and test tools required to assist in data collection, map generation, and localization.
The minimum requirements we seek:
- Master’s degree in Robotics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field
- 1+ years of experience in developing, implementing, and testing mapping & localization algorithms, such as SLAM, ICP, Particle filtering, Kalman filtering (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed).
- 1+ years of experience in software development using C++/Python (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed).
- 1+ years of experience in working with mobile robots or autonomous vehicles using an open-source framework like ROS (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed).
Our preferred requirements:
- 1+ years of experience with multiple sensor systems like LiDARS, IMUs, Cameras (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed).PhD in Robotics, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering or similar field.
- Experience with pose-graph optimization and an optimization library like G2O/Ceres/GTSAM.
- Knowledge of Lie algebra and the ability to manipulate coordinate frames for non-linear state estimation and uncertainty propagation.
- Strong foundation in linear algebra, vector analysis, and probability/statistics.
- Experience working in a team-based project from inception to demonstration across multiple disciplines, e.g., hardware design and implementation, data acquisition and analysis, mathematical modeling, algorithm development, application implementation, etc.
- Experience with developing custom software within a large codebase, including proficiency with software version control systems (e.g., git or svn), code reviews, and style guidelines.
- Experience with Linux development using tools for code debugging and profiling.
- Demonstrated ability to generate scientific reports and presentations.
- Experience with system requirements, testing, validation, and Agile software development.