AI/ML Research Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Atlanta, GA, US
Research & Advanced Engineering (R&A)
At Ford Motor Company, we believe freedom of movement drives human progress. We also believe in providing you with the freedom to define and realize your dreams. With our incredible plans for the future of mobility, we have a wide variety of opportunities for you to accelerate your career potential as you help us define tomorrow’s transportation.
Ford’s Research and Advanced Engineering team explores new vehicle and societal innovations that require some level of invention before they can be applied to our products and services. The team is building on a history of Ford innovation, including our invention of the three-way catalytic converter to modernize vehicle emissions controls in the 1970s and the world’s first rear inflatable seat belts in 2010.
Today, we are exploring and delivering ways to make smarter vehicles and our transportation system more efficient to improve people’s lives by helping them move more freely, safely and enjoyably. For example, we are changing how our products are made by creating high-quality vehicles in an environmentally and socially responsible way, including the use sustainable materials. Since 2000, we have used 12 industry and world-first plant-based materials in our production vehicles. We also are researching the possible use of tomato skin, bamboo, agave fiber, dandelion roots, algae and coffee chaff as part of our ambitious goal of making our vehicles with up of 20 percent sustainable material by 2025.
What you will be able to do
We are looking for engineers to lead our efforts in a newly established Research and Innovation Center (RIC) in Atlanta. You will be responsible for priority Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) projects aligned to Ford’s Research and Advanced key initiatives and technology scouting with the objective of identifying and recruitment of technologies that bring innovation to Ford.
The scouting role requires engagement with the tech sector, venture capital, and the innovation ecosystem in Atlanta region. The office will also be key to University engagement with key University partners in and around the Atlanta area.
AI/ML research engineer role will include formulating and developing ML-based solutions with Technical Experts at Vehicle Attribute and Analytical Tools Department of Research and Advanced Engineering organization in Dearborn (RIC-Dearborn). As a key contributor to our team, you will:
- Design and develop ML algorithms for business objectives (e.g. image processing, material development, legacy data mining, etc.)
- Work in cross-functional environment to identify ML challenges and requirements
- Recommend ML algorithm based on project problem and business objectives
- Find datasets and developing validation strategies
- Support quick concept development of new and emerging machine and deep learning ideas
Additionally, a portion of your time will be spent supporting the identification and evaluation of viable new technology solutions (e.g. products, ideas, devices, etc.) in the Atlanta region, you will:
- Develop long term relationships with educational and research institutions, national laboratories, startups, incubators, accelerators, venture capital firms, peer companies, suppliers and other subject matter authorities that are likely to develop technology solutions in areas of interest to Ford through research, industry events and pro-active networking
- Monitor key players, trends, industry announcements, etc. in technology domains that could drive steep changes in our products’ performances and manufacturing efficiency
- Source, pre-screen and review new technologies for soundness, cost, risk, scalability and economic feasibility
- Document findings from scouting activities and effectively present the analysis with peers and key partners
- Work with partners across Ford to develop quick, proof-of-concept evaluations for potential projects that match opportunities identified through tech scouting research with high impact applications
The minimum requirements we seek
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- 1+ year of experience in application of machine learning algorithms and platforms (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed)
- 1+ year of experience with Python and/or R (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed)
- 1+ year of experience with machine learning frameworks (e.g. Hadoop, TensorFlow) (coursework/internship/co-op experience allowed)
Our preferred requirements
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Knowledge in mathematical basis for traditional ML and signal processing, including linear algebra and matrix methods
- Working knowledge in decision trees, uncertainty analysis, Bayesian inference, clustering, PCA and regression
- Previous engagement in Atlanta startup ecosystem
- Strong interest in new emerging technologies
- Prior experience in researching leading-edge technologies
- Unbridled curiosity about how and why things work
- A proven record of establishing new relationships and technology networks with a large variety of audiences
- Fundamental understanding of engineering concepts and ability to judge soundness of a proposal from engineering point of view
- Ability to work independently and manage time across multiple projects with varying deadlines and commitment needs
- Self-motivated, pro-active, self-starter, with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
- Excellent presentation and communication skills with the ability to communicate ideas effectively, at all levels of management, to both internal and external partners
What you will receive in return
As part of the Ford family, you will enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You will also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we would love to have you join us.
Visa sponsorship may be available for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
For information on Ford’s benefits and compensation, click here: https://corporate.ford.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en-us/documents/careers/2021-benefits-and-comp-GSR-sal-plan-1.pdf